Category Archives: Miscellaneous
But I’m back!!!
If you follow me on Twitter then you’ll know why I’ve been M.I.A. I’ve been completing my last and final year at university and I am sooooo relieved that it’s over. This year has been one of the hardest years of my life. I’m gonna say it now: post-grad is hard. But I did it! Well, actually we’ll have to wait until I get my grades, but I know in my heart of hearts that I did my best and that’s all I can do. Some days my best doesn’t feel good enough but that’s a result of me comparing myself to others, which I need to. Stop. Doing.
Anyway, how are you all? I don’t know what to do with myself now! As soon as I got home from my exam today I started throwing out notes I didn’t need (that wouldn’t be useful to me at any point in the future) and started dusting. Who the hell does that? Surely, I should be going out and killing brain cells with drink but nooooo. I’m not one to drink these days so I choose to…clean…instead. I’m weird.
This is just a short post to let you know that I am back and I will be posting more regularly from now on.
What is your favourite thing to do after you’ve finished exams?
[WARNING: Contain offensive language.]
OK, these thoughts have been spinning round and round in my head for so long and the more I think about it and the more I see the stupid comments that we (us at the Libero Network) get about this, the more I get angry about it.
If you don’t know what Fitspiration is, it is a movement created by people to encourage others to exercise and get fit.
That’s great! I have nothing against people encouraging others to exercise and feel good about themselves. Exercise is good for the body when done in moderation and for the right reasons.
But when images like this
are plastered on social networking sites and all over the media, it’s beginning to get too much.
To me, the Fitspiration movement has become more of a cult, encouraging others to feel bad about themselves as they are and strive for this ideal body that, as I said, is being plastered all over the internet.
Not only that, but they chose a name much like that of the anorexic “Thinspiration” movement, which, as many of you know, has disturbing images of skeletal girls and boys standing around looking half-dead. Why would you name a supposed healthy exercise movement that is similar to the thinspiration movement?
I mean, really?
People are fighting back against the Libero Network’s “Stop Fitspiration” movement saying that because we are saying this, we must be fat and lazy, etc.
No, that is not why are against Fitspiration. When people see these images, they start to feel bad about themselves. They start to feel as though they’re not doing enough exercise or they’re not trying hard enough. Not only is it making people feel bad because their bodies don’t look like those in the images, it’s making people strive for this “ideal” body, which is unrealistic for people that don’t exercise for a career.
People are being brainwashed into thinking that these kind of messages are good to spread around, particularly in the blog world.
To me, it’s exercise-addiction masquerading as a healthy message and is very much like “Thinspiration”. In fact, it would appear that Fitspiration is the new Thinspiration.
As someone who went from looking at “thinspiration” on the internet to looking up to ripped people like Jillian Michaels and certain celebrities, my obsession was to no longer be thin but to look toned and lean. And oh boy, did I get carried away with the messages these people were sending out.
I couldn’t go a day without exercising for 2 hours because I was being told by society that it was the right thing to do. I was exercising harder and harder every time to the point where my heart started palpitating during my workouts. it got to the point where I was so injured that every single workout was painful.
It’s been over two years since I gave up my addiction to exercise and began my journey of mending my relationship with my body and exercise and my body is still recovering. Even though I’m at a healthy weight and my body is functioning properly, when I go out for a walk or do some yoga, I still feel pain in my joints. It’s everlasting. I regret those years that I pushed my body so hard. When I hear these messages saying, “You never regret a workout”, I can honestly say that I have regretted many a workout. I have regretted ever letting these stupid messages get to me.
I am still in the process of mending my relationship with exercise and these fitspiration messages are definitely not helping, but when I read them, I just have to laugh because they are so ludicrous.
Let’s take the second image above for example:
“You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow. You choose.”
Are you FUCKING serious? Come on people, I know you’re smarter than that! What message is this giving people? It is telling people that if they don’t exercise, they should feel guilty! WHY SHOULD WE FEEL GUILTY FOR THAT? It’s hard enough having the voice in your head making you feel guilty and now we are being told to feel guilty from external sources?
Particularly when people that usually get involved in this movement are those that feel insecure already. This is just adding gasoline and butane gas to the already raging fire!
I know I’m probably going to get some pretty bad backlash from this but I don’t care. This is my opinion and this blog is my outlet. If you like Fitspiration then good for you. But don’t try and make myself and others who are struggling with body image and self-love feel bad about ourselves because you do.
Please note: I am in recovery from an eating disorder and is someone who has had much experience with the Fitspiration movement. This is my own personal opinion. Do not call me fat or lazy because I am against Fitspiration. If that’s the only comeback you have, then that really says something…
A little late I know…
The instructions are to say these words:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught
And answer these questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you use to change the TV channel?
Have YOU done an accent vlog?!
Hello! The lovely lady from this blog has tagged me for the 11 things question and answer thingy so get ready to be amazed.
1) I like wearing mens singlets. They are so comfy! However, I don’t wear them all the time. That would just be silly, geez.
2) I have two favourite perfumes: Britney Spears’ In Control and Hilary Duff’s With Love. LOVE!
3) I love every little thing about Stephen Fry. Everything. I wish he weren’t gay. He’s actually just down the road from me as I type this filming the Hobbit. The film studios are literally down the road from me. I was out for a walk yesterday and could see some kind of ominous looking village. Radcore man.
4) I have to wear socks in bed. Seriously, I have to. I feel naked otherwise.
5) I’m afraid of the dark. It gives me the heeby-jeebies.
6) When I look at “health food” blogs I don’t read them, I just look at the pictures. Everyone needs some food porn once in a while.
7) My perky bum gets in the way of buying clothes and underwear. Seriously, the only jeans that fit me properly are the ones from Primark in England and I have not yet found a brand of underwear that fit me comfortably. It’s wedgy central up in here.
8) I have a minor fear of flying but have always dreamt of being an air hostess. How does that work?
9) I cannot stand needles! If you put one near me or tell me that I have to get a blood test I will have to fight the urge to run away and cry. I would fail at being a drug addict. Just putting that out there.
10) I shave my legs, like, 6 times a year, if that. I can’t be fucked.
11) My bed sheets have to be tight and crisp before I get into them or else I can’t sleep. It can be annoying. Especially when you just can’t get them perfect!!
Here are the rules:
1: You must post these rules.
2: Each person must post 11 things about themselves on their blog.
3: Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post and create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
And here are the questions:
1) What is your biggest pet peeve?
Umm this would have to be gum chewers. It completely disgusts me, ugh. Sorry if you’re a gum chewer but if we are ever to meet, please don’t chew gum around me…
2) What is your idea of the “perfect morning”?
Sleep in till 9.30. Make blueberry pancakes. Buy things online. Oh, that sounds a lot like today actually 😉
3) Best movie you’ve ever seen?
Wow, umm…Probably Hot Fuzz. That movie is amazing.
4) If you could meet one celebrity in person, who would it be?
Who do you think? Stephen Fry!!!!!
5) The most exotic place you’ve ever visited (or would like to visit)?
The most exotic place I’ve ever visited was Noumea in New Caledonia. I went there on a school French trip for 10 days. I want to go back there!
6) Who’s a role model for you and why?
Stephen Fry. OK, I know that I’m obsessed with him but hear me out. He has lead an amazing life. He started his life as a thief, a liar and he spent time in jail for fraud. He has suffered heart break, depression and he has come through it. He still struggles with his depression and yet he continues to live his life to the fullest. He is so incredibly smart and I just completely idolise him. His attitude to life is just spot on and if I am ever worrying about anything I often wonder what Stephen Fry would do. Yes, I might be obsessed with this man but for good reason.
7) 4 qualities you look for in a good friend?
Kind, reliable, has a sense of humour and is rich…kidding! The last one would be driven.
8) 5 quirky habits you have?
- I heat up my hot meals to the point of a nuclear meltdown.
- I sleep on my tummy. There is not other way I can sleep!
- I like to shove my smelly feet in my Dad’s face. He really doesn’t appreciate it as much as I would like.
- I like to push on my nose to make it flat. It’s fun when you have a rather long nose.
- When on my walks, I walk past houses with fresh washing on the line because I love the smell of clean washing. Is that creepy?
9) Cake or ice-cream?
CAKE hands down.
10) 2 quotes that motivate you?
“The only thing holding you back is yourself.”
“If you never make mistakes then you will never learn.”
11) What did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to be a vet up until the age of 14 when I realised I wanted to be a meteorologist. Oh, and I wanted to be the next Spice Girl. Yeah…
Now my questions:
1) Where were you born?
2) What is your favourite food right now?
3) What is your dream job?
4) Favourite cake flavour?
5) What annoys you the most about people? (Answer this however you want.)
6) Who do you look up to the most?
7) Would you consider yourself a nerd? Why?
8) Favourite kind of music?
9) What is one thing you like to do to treat yourself?
10) What time do you get up on a typical morning?
11) Summer, Winter, Spring or Autumn? Why?
And I shall tag:
All of you!
If you haven’t been tagged in this yet, feel free to do it yourself 🙂